My sweet tooth got the better of me yesterday and I made sakkarai pongal, which is very simple and easy.0
Rice 1/2 cup
Yellow mung dal - 1/2 cup - dry roasted till fragrant
jaggery - 1/2 cup powdered
coconut milk - 1/2 cup
cashewnuts - a handful - dry roasted
almonds - sliced and dry roasted - a few
water - 2 cups
milk - 1/2 cup
ghee - 4 tbsps
How I made it :
1. Soak the rice and mung dal for about 30 minutes
2. Cook the rice and mung dal with 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of milk - slightly overcook them.
3. Mash the rice and mung dal with a masher or the back of a ladle.
4. Add the jaggery.
5. Once the jaggery melts and mixes in, add the coconut milk.
6. Add ghee. You could fry the nuts in the ghee before adding.
7. Decorate with the nuts and serve.
Tastes best cold. Add elaichi/cardomom pods if you like the taste of those. My hubby detests it like crazy. We constantly argue about this.