I adapted the recipe from http://arundati.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/moussaka-not-quite. It was truly yummy. If only I had a 8x8 baking dish, I would have had great pictures to post too.0
I did make a few changes - I did not add the pasta as was suggested and I made the belchamel sauce a tad bit differently. However, I prefer plain belchamel sauce - made up of maida, butter n milk.
1. 12 thick slices of potato
2. 1 large brinjal cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
3. 2 tbsp oil
For the soya layer which replaces minced meat
3. 1 1/2 cup soya granules soaked in boiling hot water
4. 1 1/2 cup tomota puree
5. 1 large onion finely chopped
6. 1/2 capsicum finely chopped - I had this left over from the sandwiches that I made earlier in the week
6. 8 pods of garlic - I used the large variety which are considered more pungent
7. 1 tsp red chilli powder
8. 1 cinnamon stick
9. 1/2 tsp cumin/jeera powder
10. salt to taste
11. 1 tsp oil
For the belchamel sauce
12. 1 tbsp butter
13. 2 tbsp maida
14. 1 1/2 cups milk
15. 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
16. salt to taste - be careful as the cheese and butter are salted generally.
17. pepper to taste
How to make...
1. In a wide pan, heat the 2tbsp of oil. Lay the potato slices and fry till they are 3/4th done on both sides.
2. While the potato is getting done, you can salt and keep the brinjal slices aside so that any bitterness will be removed.
3. Once the potato is 3/4th done, remove and place on paper towels to drain. Fry the brinjal slices in a similar fashion till done. Remove on kitchen towels to drain.
4. In the same pan, add a little more oil. Put in the cinnamon stick. Fry the onions and capsicum till onions are translucent. Add the chilli and cumin powders. Add the soya, after draining all the water. Fry the soya for a minute. Next add the tomato puree. Adjust salt. Fry this till almost dry.
5. In another pan, melt butter. Fry the maida till fragrant. Add warm milk, whisking throughout to make sure there are no lumps. Add pepper, cheese and salt(with care). Once it reaches a sauce like consistency, take off from fire.
6. Now to assemble the whole thing together. Place the potato pieces at the bottom of an oven proof pan. Place the brinjal slices on the top of that. Layer with the soya granules. Now pour over the belchamel sauce. Bake for 30minutes in a pre-heated over at 180 degree C.