Dal tadka

Dal when cooked well can leave you licking your fingers. Alka's recipe Tadka Dal is a must try. I've made it many a time now and it has never failed. Earlier, when I started cooking, I would call mom and ask her when I forget a recipe or a step in the recipe. With the opening of the cafe, mom tends to be busy. Alka's recipe has been a saviour and good reference guide. I made very very minor modifications to my liking but the dal is still "dal"-icious.

Ingredients :
1 cup masoor dal picked, rinsed and soaked in water 
1 medium onion chopped
1 large tomato chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped into small pieces
Water
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
Coriander leaves for garnish
For tadka :
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 whole red chilli
1/2 tsp red chilli powder - my addition to get a little spicier dal

How I made it :
  1. Pour oil into pressure cooker. Add chopped garlic.
  2. Turn on heat and fry till garlic pieces brown. 
  3. Add the onions and fry till translucent.
  4. Add the tomatoes and cook till you can easily mash them in.
  5. Add the dal, turmeric powder, salt and water - about 1 and a half cups of water.
  6. Cover and cook for 5 whistles on high.
  7. Once the pressure releases, mix the dal with a fork. 
  8. Heat the ghee for the tadka in a tadka pan. Add the mustard and cumin seeds.
  9. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add the whole red chilly and red chilly powder.
  10. Pour this over the dal.
Goes well with steamed rice or rotis or peas pulao or jeera pulao.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would be thrilled to hear from you on your thoughts on the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, in advance, it is much appreciated.