Aloo Gobi Sabji

Whilst in school, I did not have to carry lunch. We were provided nutritious meals at school. When I moved to college, I had to carry my own dabba. My aunt would wake up at 5 every morning and prepare yummy dishes for the dabba. One of my favorites was this aloo gobhi sabji. My aunt would pack 2 dabbas when she made this, as my classmates would not spare me a morsel. Trust me, it was truly delicious. I had seen her making it a few times but not in entirety. Here's what I remember and how I make it.

Ingredients (serves 2) :

  1. 1 medium sized cauliflower - with about 20 florets - don't split them yet.
  2. 12 baby potatoes with skin on - you can use 2 medium potatoes
  3. 2 large onions chopped finely
  4. 1 inch piece ginger
  5. 6 cloves of garlic
  6. 1 green chilli
  7. 1/4 capsicum chopped - optional
  8. 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
  9. 1/2+1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  10. 3/4 tsp red chilli powder
  11. 3/4 tsp coriander powder
  12. 3/4 tsp cumin/jeera powder
  13. 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
  14. 1/4 tsp amchoor powder
  15. 1 tbsp + 1 cup of oil 
  16. 1tsp cumin seeds
  17. Salt to taste
  18. Coriander leaves to garnish
How I made it :
  1. Wash and boil the potatoes in salted water. Ensure that they don't get over boiled. They need to retain their shape. One whistle on high and one on low should do.
  2. In an open pot of hot boiling water, immerse the whole cauliflower upside down. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Turn off after 3 minutes and drain. Split the florets.
  3. In a wok, heat 1 cup of oil. When hot, put in the potatoes. Cover and let them fry. If you have put them in with the skin, you will know when they are done based on the crumples on the skin.
  4. Remove the potatoes and drain on a kitchen towel.
  5. In the same oil, put the cauliflower and fry them till the edges of the florets brown. Remove and drain on kitchen towel or piece of newspaper. 
  6. In another pan, heat 1 tbsp oil.
  7. Put in the cumin seeds.
  8. After 30 seconds, put in the onions. 
  9. Mince the ginger and garlic. When the onion start to turn light golden brown, put in the ginger garlic paste. 
  10. Keep frying till the onions continue to brown. You could put in some more oil from the frying if you want to. 
  11. Put in the green chillies and capsicum.
  12. Fry for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes.
  13. Fry for 3 minutes and add all the dry powders. 
  14.  Fry till fat separates. 
  15. Add salt and put in the potatoes and cauliflower.
  16. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
  17. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rotis.
Tip :
I usually use the oil in which I've fried stuff once, to make my chapatti/roti dough. Or, I top my rotis with this oil. Sometimes, I also use it in the curries as the oil need not be heated up to smoking point for curries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would be thrilled to hear from you on your thoughts on the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, in advance, it is much appreciated.