Oats Muffins

I seem to be stocking up on a lot of things. One of the disadvantages of frequent visits to the supermarket - you do end up picking a lot of stuff that you don't really need, and I mean - A LOT. I had picked up this bag of oats for a quick weekday breakfast, just as I had many other such similar items. I got home last evening elated that I need not cook as I had lots of food leftover from the previous day. With time on my hands, I decided to make these oats muffins which I got from here.

If you are a Sindhi and know what "kutti" is, you will love these. It reminded me so much of the days when mom would fast on Teej and bring this delectable treat home. "Kutti" is something like roasted wheat flour with sugar. The sugar is added when the flour is hot which causes it to just melt, creating magical flavours and texture.

Ingredients (For 6 muffins) :
For Streusel :

  1. 1/8 cup all purpose flour
  2. 1/6 cup oats
  3. 1/8 cup brown sugar
  4. 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

For Muffins :

  1. 1/2 cup milk
  2. 1/8 cup oil
  3. 1 beaten egg
  4. 1/2 tsp vanilla essence/powder
  5. 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  6. 1/6 cup brown sugar
  7. 1/2 cup oats
  8. 1/2 tablespoon baking powder

How I made it :
Prep for stresel:

  1. Mix together the oats, sugar and wheat flour.
  2. Cut in the butter. Mix with a fork to form a crumby mixture. Keep aside.

Muffins:

  1. Preheat oven to 200 degree C
  2. Mix together the baking powder, wheat flour, oats and sugar. If using vanilla powder, add that now. If using vanilla essence hold off with that in this step.
  3. Mix together milk, oil and egg. If using vanilla essence, add that in.
  4. Mix the wet and dry. Pour into muffin moulds. 
  5. Sprinkle streusel on the top. Press it in lightly.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes.
The top has a light crunch which rates this quite high on my list of dishes to make again and again. Tastes best when had warm on the same day. It loses its crunch the next day.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by. I would be thrilled to hear from you on your thoughts on the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, in advance, it is much appreciated.