Vendakka Kara Kuzhambu/South Indian Ladies Finger/Okra curry - II

I have posted an earlier version of my south indian okra curry here. I was too lazy to refer my recipe and cook so today I tried a slightly different version based on the drumstick kara kuzhambu that I had tried last week. This has a more authentic taste with the sweetness of the fennel/saunf coming through. Do give it a try and let me know which one you prefer.

Ingredients (for 2 as a side dish) :
  1. 30 ladies finger pieces - cut into 1 inch pieces
  2. 1 medium onion finely chopped
  3. 1 medium tomato finely chopped
  4. 3 cloves of garlic
  5. 1/4 cup coconut
  6. 1 tsp fennel/saunf seeds
  7. 1/2 tsp methi/fenugreek seeds
  8. 5 dried red chillies - adjust as per spiciness desired
  9. 1 tbsp coriander powder
  10. Tamarind ball the size of a small marble soaked in water
  11. 2 tbsp oil
  12. 1 tsp mustard seeds
  13. 1/2 tsp fennel/saunf seeds - apart from what is mentioned in 7.
  14. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  15. 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
  16. Salt to taste

How I made it :
  1. Grind ingredients 4 to 9 with enough water to make a smooth paste
  2. In 1 tsp oil, fry the ladies finger pieces till the edges start to brown. Let them retain their crunch.
  3. In a pan, heat the remaining oil.
  4. Put in the mustard and fennel seeds. Once they completely splutter, put in the onions.
  5. Fry till onions turn pink.
  6. Add the ground paste.
  7. Fry on low heat, mixing frequently to avoid sticking. Fry for about 8 minutes. 
  8. Add in the tomatoes. 
  9. At this point, I put this entire mixture into a pressure cooker, added about 1/4 cup of water and cooked until 5 whistles on low. 
  10. To this, I added the tamarind water, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt to taste. 
  11. Throw in the okra pieces. 
  12. Add water to achieve desired consistency of gravy. Boil on low heat for about 10 minutes.
  13. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would be thrilled to hear from you on your thoughts on the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, in advance, it is much appreciated.