Happy Bastille Day!
We had eaten this beetroot quiche and I wanted to recreate it as soon as I saw that beets were the produce of the week. However, I adapted it to be more likeable to the Indian taste buds. The sweetness of the beetroot goes very well with the sharpness of the goat's cheese feta and the dill then just comes in and lifts those flavours completely.
|Indian Style Beetroot Feta and Dill Quiche|
For the Quiche base (Serves 2 as a meal)
Preparation Time :
Cooking Time :
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Whole wheat flour/Rice flour/All purpose flour - 1/2 cup [NOTE: You could just use 1 cup of all purpose flour]
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cold butter cut into cubes - 1/4 cup (salted is fine) [NOTE : You could use upto 1/3 cup. The more you use, the more crisp and flaky the resultant tart will be]
- Ice cold water - 2 tbsp or more to get the dough together
How I made the Quiche base:
- In a bowl, mix the flours, red chilly powder and the salt.
- To this, add the butter and mix it in until it forms coarse bread crumbs. This can be done in a food processor as well.
- Add the water little by little until the dough just comes together.
- Wrap in cling film and put into the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Pre heat the airfryer to 180 degree C.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll out into a .5cm thick circle on a cling film.
- Flip the dough into the quiche/tart tray using the cling wrap to hold it all together. Ensure that there are no cracks
- Use a fork and make some holes in the dough.
- Blind bake the base for 15 minutes. If using a proper oven, blind bake for 25 minutes.
For the beetroot filling
Preparation Time :
Cooking Time :
Ingredients :(Serves 2 as a meal)
- Beetroot - 1 large
- Onion - 1 small
- Green Chilly - 1 or 2 according to taste
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Goat's milk feta cheese - 1/4 block - coarsely broken into largish crumbs by hand
- Eggs - 2 beaten
- Dill - about 4 tbsp chopped finely
- Toasted walnuts
How I made it :
For the beetroot filling:
- Peel the beetroot
- Chop the beetroot into 0.5cm wedges - this helps also with presentation
- Chop the onion finely
- Chop the green chillies
- Pound the garlic into a rough paste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.
- When hot, add the green chillies, garlic and onions.
- Saute till onions are translucent.
- Add the red chilly powder and fry for 10-15 seconds. Take care not to burn the powder.
- Add the beetroot.
- Add salt to taste
- Stir fry for about a minute.
- Add the water and let this cook for about 10 minutes, preferably till all the water has evaporated and the beetroot is 80% cooked.
- Add the garam masala powder and turn off heat.
|Beetroot Feta Dill Quiche|
For the Assembly :
- Place one layer of the beetroot masala into the quiche base.
- Pour half the egg mix.
- Sprinkle some of the dill and goat's cheese feta.
- Top with another layer of the beetroot. You can place the beetroot wedges such that they are popping out as an edge
- Top with the remaining dill and goat's cheese
- Pour the remaining egg so that the gaps are all filled in.
- Top with walnuts and bake at 160 degree C for 15 minutes or until the egg has set. If using a normal oven, bake at 180 degree C for about 25-30 minutes.